Difference between 22k,18k and 14k
The 22 Karat gold is commonly used in making regular jewellery. 22K means that 22 parts of the metal amount to gold and the rest two parts are some other metals that make the texture of gold harder, thus making the metal durable.
In 22K gold, only 91.67 per cent is pure gold. The remaining 8.33 per cent consist of metals like silver, zinc, nickel or other alloys. Although it is used in making plain gold jewellery, 22K gold isn’t preferable form to make any heavy studded gold jewellery. It is because diamonds and other precious gemstones have their weights while 22 karat gold is softer than these stones and is incapable of holding them firmly through the daily use of the jewellery piece. This form of gold is often found in a lot of wedding jewellery and other items that are worn occasionally..
18 karat gold comprises 75 per cent pure gold mixed with 25 per cent of other metals like copper or silver, etc. Highly suitable for making studded and diamond jewellery, 18k gold is less expensive as compared to 24K and 22K. This type of gold has a rich yellow tone with a slightly dull shade that makes it absolutely desirable for exquisite gold and diamond jewellery pieces.
Jewellery made out of 18k gold is suitable to wear daily, and the lower amount of metals makes it a better choice for people who suffer from any metal allergies. 18-karat gold is widely used for making rings, watches, and other regularly wearable jewellery. Its warm yellow shine makes it perfect for wedding rings and similar jewellery pieces.
14 karat gold is produced from 58.3 per cent pure gold and a 41.7 per cent mixture of other metals like copper, zinc, silver and nickel. With only 14 parts of gold out of 24, it’s usually less expensive than other higher karats of gold. The presence of a higher amount of alloyed metals makes 14K gold more resistant to wear and tear. And as it is harder and more durable, it is ideal for making daily-wear jewellery, especially for an active lifestyle. It is also less likely to cause any skin allergies.
The colour of 14k gold is often paler yellow because of the lower saturation of gold. It is extensively used to make daily wear rings and pendants/lockets. Due to its sturdiness, all favour the most affordable option, a 14 karat gold jewellery item.